Thursday, December 10, 2009

My Mom

{Written in honor of my mom, Marian Sue Reagan Buster. Married for 38 years to the youngest son of Charlotte, Molli's brother, Terry. ~ Teri Lynne}

Three generations ... Momma, Casiday & Me

Where do I even begin? We don't ever get to spend Christmas together ... we live so far away from home that it's just not feasible. But my mom always sends presents or waits until we can be together to celebrate. She's never made me feel guilty about not being there ... she's just always said, "Christmas isn't a day ... it's when we are together!"

My mom is an amazing person! She's more beautiful and talented than she will ever understand. She's funny and smart ... and I love her!!

In February of this year, she and my dad were able to come and spend a week with us. We had an amazing time. My mom and I shopped and laughed. And we talked ... really talked.

You know those totally great talks that happen between parents and their grown-up children.

It was an incredible week. I cried when they left ... I wished they could just stay forever.

My mom is a fabulous Granny Sue! Casiday adores her ... and every year in August when the Costume Express catalogs start arriving at our house, Casiday picks out her Halloween costume. And Granny Sue makes it for her. This year she was a gypsy ...



Clearly, Granny Sue goes all out for her grandchildren.

But there's something else you should know about my mom ... she's real. She's broken and fragile yet strong and capable. She's honest ... and she loves deeply. She has this "realness" ... that is open to new challenges and new ideas. She admits she's not all she could be ... but she's also not content to stop growing.

I was once asked what the most important lesson I learned from my mom was ... I've thought about this a lot and my answer might be a little surprising ... but I learned that failing at something doesn't make you a failure. My mom taught me, through her words and her life, that not accomplishing a goal isn't the worst thing that can happen ... it's never setting the goal that is the failure.

I'm thankful for my mom ... I'm thankful for her friendship, for her love, for her support. And I am thankful that she has always let me be me ... even when she didn't understand!

I love you, Momma!! So much!!

And I'm sharing with all of you a Christmas staple at my mom's house ... her mom used this recipe, Momma and I both make it every year. Casiday will become the fourth generation to make fudge from this recipe. I hope you enjoy it!!

Mom's Fudge Recipe
(from her mom, my Mema)


Ingredients:
3 c. sugar
2/3 c. cocoa
1/8 t. salt
1-1/2 c. milk
1 stick butter or margarine
1 t. vanilla

In heavy saucepan combine sugar, cocoa, and salt. Stir in milk. Cook over medium heat. Stir constantly to FULL boil. Boil without stirring to soft ball stage. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. Beat until thick and no longer shiny.

This is without question the best fudge recipe ever!! I know not one person who has tasted it who has disagreed with that assessment! Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. You made me cry! But thank you so much! I love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet tribute to Sue, who is so much more than my brother's wife. She is, and has been for a long time...my friend. Love you Sue. Love your darling daughter and her precious daughter! I and thankful for you
    !

    ReplyDelete