Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas Sweets

{These are some of Molli's favorite Christmas recipes ... foods she makes every year - or close to it. Enjoy!}

Cool Whip Candy

3 (8 oz) Hershey bars
2 cartons Cool Whip
1/2 cup vanilla wafer crumbs or cookie crumbs or chopped nuts

Melt chocolate in microwave. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in Cool Whip. Drop by teaspoons into crumbs or nuts. Place on waxed paper. Store in refrigerator.

Sugar Bacon
{Yep, bacon for dessert ... does it get any better?}

1/2 pound bacon at room temperature
1 cup (okay, who am I kidding, I always use more!) brown sugar
  • Roll, pat, or shake the bacon in brown sugar. (I coat it big time!)
  • Place bacon strips in flat pan with sides.
  • Bake at 300 degrees until bacon is well done, 30 to 40 minutes.
  • Remove with tongs and drain on brown paper bags.
  • As it cools, bacon will get hard and can be broken into smaller pieces or served whole.

Tiger Butter

1 pound white chocolate or white almond bark
1 (12 ounce) jar of peanut butter
1 pound semisweet chocolate, melted
  • Combine white chocolate and peanut and melt in microwave.
  • Spread mixture onto a wax-paper-lined jellyroll pan.
  • Pour melted semisweet chocolate over peanut butter mixture and swirl with knife.
  • Chill until firm.
  • Break into pieces.
  • Store in refrigerator.
Divinity

2 & 2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
2 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
  • Heat sugar, corn syrup and water in a 2-qt saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
  • Cook, without stirring, until temperature on a candy thermometer reaches 260 degrees or until a small amount dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
  • Continue beating and pour hot syrup in a thin stream into egg whites.
  • Add vanilla; beat until mixture holds its shape and becomes slightly dull.
  • Drop from a buttered spoon onto waxed paper.

We hope you enjoy these recipes. Check back every Friday for more of our favorite holiday sweets and treats.

What are some of the favorite foods in your home at Christmas?



This post linked up with the ever so delightful Lisa at Stop & Smell the Chocolates! Go visit her for more dessert ideas ... Teri Lynne has linked her Red Velvet Cake recipe there!!

7 comments:

  1. My mom always makes Trash

    2 cups Chex
    2 cups pretzel
    2 cups nuts (cashews, peanuts, whatever you like)(optional)
    2 cups M&M's (optional)
    3 bags white chocolate chips

    1. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl
    2. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or on the stove and then pour into the bowl with the dry ingrdients. Stir to coat dry ingredients.
    3. Pour out mixture onto 2 cookie sheets, pizza pans, etc and refridgerate until hardened.
    4. Remove from fridge and break apart.
    5. Share & Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many GREAT!!! and EASY!!! recipes to choose from. I like the Tiger Butter the most, maybe it's because it has two of my favorites, chocolate and peanut butter.
    I have become a follower of your blog. I love to share recipe and ideas, come by and visit my blog maybe you can do the same.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geri, thank you for commenting and for following! The Tiger Butter is one of the family's favorites! Well...that is silly...they love and seem to expect some of everything. A sweet co-worker (years ago, can't recall her name) gave me that recipe and I make it every year. My son-in-law really loves it. I'll have to drip by your blog and check for some new recipes to try this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum to all!! My parents made divinity every year at Christmas, but recipe was lost and all attempts hubs and I tried a few years ago failed to set up - they were different recipes. This sounds exactly like what I grew up on! And since nowadays I do have a stand mixer, I'm going to attempt it and try to surprise my hubs!! I am SO glad you linked this up today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I hope your divinity turns out. It won't work if the humidity is high. Won't ever set up. I have thrown plenty of batches away...because it was too soupy! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sugar bacon is soooo awesome!!!! We were at Teri Lynne and Scott's the first time my daughters and I had it and I spent 10 minutes explaining to my youngest that it's not for breakfast!! She wants to have it with pancakes but I have to admit that does sound yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete