Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas Surprise

{Strangely, this is the first post I've written for this blog. Not sure how that has happened. But this week is devoted to my part of the family and our stories ... well some of us ... we take two weeks!! So, this week and next you'll read stories & recipes from the wife, daughter, daughter-in-law, and granddaughters of Terry, Charlotte's younger son. We do hope you are enjoying this little glimpse into our family. ~ Teri Lynne}

Don't ask me the year ... can't tell you.

I was probably in late elementary or middle school.

But my parents planned the best Christmas surprise ever.

Late one December afternoon we piled into our car ... all five of us. This was before the seat belt laws so I'm sure two of us kids had seats and one laid claim to the floor. I'm sure we all had on our pajamas and were well-stocked with blankets, pillows, books, and maybe a stuffed animal or two.

And we "hunkered down" for a trip through the night.

We drove from rural Oklahoma through the Kansas plains and into Colorado.

Reaching our final destination ... Bigmama's house!! Oh I loved that house! It seemed so big and wonderful. Situated in Widefield, Colorado, with a big fenced in yard and lots of room to play. The basement had a big room with a beautiful Christmas tree. I loved going into the room off the laundry room ... now we'd call it the "craft room" but to me ... it was just this magical place with fabric, ribbons, glue, buttons, sequins ... a wonderland!

But that year ... we surprised them! Bigmama - who is truly larger than life in personality and love - was overwhelmed! I'm sure the entire Colorado Springs metro area heard her yelps of delight!

I can't tell you a single gift any of us opened ... I'm not even 100% sure who all was there ... but I know this ... I learned a lesson that Christmas that has been with me ever since ... there's no gift greater than being with those you love!

This Christmas, I hope you find yourself surrounded by those you love ... and if you, like my little family of three, will spend Christmas Day away from family, I hope you will do as we will ... seek out those who will also be separated from family and invite them to join you. All the guests at that first Christmas in a stable were unknown to Mary and Joseph ... those shepherds were the forgotten, the unimportant, but God Himself invited them to join the celebration. How like our Father are we when we take time to include the forgotten and unimportant in our celebration of Christ's birth?

Any Christmas surprises in your family? Share them with us!

2 comments:

  1. I remember that Christmas. My little family had driven to Colorado from Northern Virginia. It took us 3 days of hard driving to get there. It was the last time (I think...I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...we are Busters) that 3 of Daddy and Mother's children were home for Christmas at the same time. I took Neenie out in a big hurry to buy gifts for the 3 of you. Although she had already sent gifts, it just wouldn't do for there to be only a few gifts under the tree for you. She had that checkbook and we went shopping! I am certain that I suffer from residual low-level hearing loss from that Christmas! Annie got a Cabbage Patch Kid and named her Molli Sue, after your mother and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible memory! I can only imagine how exciting that must have been for you as a child, and for your Bigmama!! :)

    ReplyDelete