Friday, June 1, 2012

Georgia Cornbread

Who ever heard of such a thing?  I hadn't and nobody I've asked has either. 

But let me tell you, it is slap-yo-momma good! 


It doesn't look all that special.  Looks, however, can be quite deceiving.

I first encountered this delicacy at my local Farmer's Market in mid-November.  They always have all manner of goodies right at the counter where you have to look at them before you purchase the fruits and vegetables you buy to be healthy. 

I looked at the Rocket Man who was born and bred in Middle Georgia and asked if he had ever heard of it. He had not.  It doesn't look like cornbread and there was icing on it.  I have never yielded to the temptation, but the name...Georgia Cornbread...so intrigued me that I spent $4.00 on a slice.

Y'all!  I'm telling you, it was worth it a twice the price.  Oh! My! Stars!!  As my teeth sunk in, the taste exploded in my mouth and I was in l-o-v-e! 

I came home and did some research.  I found several recipes.  This is the one I settled on.  You don't even want to know the nutritional values.  The numbers alone are enough to give you a heart attack!

Here you go.  By the way...I don't put icing on it, like the first piece I had.  Its almost overkill.
Enjoy!

Georgia Cornbread
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar (I use dark brown)
4 beaten eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of VERY finely chopped pecans.  Very, very finely chopped. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch pan (I use Baker's Joy).  Or, lightly grease and flour standard muffin tins. 

Stir together the sugars, eggs and oil until smooth.
Stir in flour and vanilla till well blended.
Add finely chopped pecans and stir well until evenly mixed.

Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until done.

Be prepared to experience a taste that is pure luscious, delicious decadence.  And be sure you've taken your cholesterol medicine!

I haven't been able to find out where the name came from.  I'm wondering if it isn't called cornbread because it does have a similar texture with the chopped pecans.  Maybe pecans were easier to come by in Georgia than was cornmeal.  I just don't know.

Whatever its origin, I'm thrilled that I yielded to that particular temptation.  I'm thankful that pecans are rather costly, because it will remain a special treat.

Georgia Cornbread for my Georgia Cracker Rocket Man. 
I like that!


~Mollianne






No comments:

Post a Comment