Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sloppy Joes

There are moments when I really believe in time travel.  You know, when a taste or smell or sound transport you someplace else and for just a nanosecond, you *are* removed from your present surroundings and  experiencing something all over again.

That happened to me today.  Our chef here at The Church House makes THE best-ever Sloppy Joes.   We used to have Sloppy Joe and Tater Tot Fridays when I first worked here.  That was the menu once a month in our DayCare and our Church Staff would jockey for position to be on the call list if there were leftovers.  I have been known to be extra helpful-if they needed help-in the kitchen the week before Sloppy Joe Friday, in hopes of scoring one.  You really are SOMEBODY around here if you rate a Sloppy Joe and so far, I've been able to stay on the approved list.  I hope to stay there.

Last week, I inquired about the next offering of Sloppy Joes.  It doesn't happen solely on Fridays anymore, by edict of the new DayCare Director {what is she thinking?}.  So I have to be a bit more sly about it.  I found out that Thursday the 10th was the next scheduled day for my favorite lunch meal and while I couldn't find my makeup case this morning [seriously....} my first thought this morning was, "Sloppy Joes!"

When I got to work, I went straight to the kitchen to see if I could make the coffee or do anything else useful.  Chef was there all alone and cleaning out the fridge.  We had a bit of ice and snow last night and I saw while I was getting ready that school was delayed by 2 hours.  Making small talk, I mentioned that it must be nice not to be making breakfast for all the little darlings this morning.  He informed me that they wouldn't be there at all today.  What?  I thought there was a delay?  Nope...after I checked, they cancelled City Schools, and the DayCare closes when the schools close.

My face fell.  "But today is Sloppy Joe Thursday"  I said defensively.  What were they thinking?  Chef said he wasn't thrilled, because he'd already made them.  I sensed a glimmer of hope for my palate. 

Can I help you sweep?  Fix your coffee? 
Empty the trash?  You need help... I'm your girl!

He laughed and told me to get to the kitchen before he left around 11:00 and he'd set me up.  I didn't even really have to ask. God Bless Chef Phil.

I presented myself promptly at 10:40 and was rewarded with a bun and a serving of the amazing Sloppy Joes to heat in the microwave.  A bit of a sacrilege, but I'm willing to drop my standards on occasion.  I heated up the meat and tenderly filled my bun.  I took a deep whiff of the tantalizing armoa and bit in.

In a flash, I was no longer standing in the kitchen of the Church House on a snow day in February 2011.  I was back in the cafeteria of Alma Schrader Elementary School in Cape Girardeau, Missouri and it was 1968.  I could smell that funky dairy/milk odor of the cafeteria.  I could feel the green plastic tray in my hand.  I could hear the lunch lady saying, "Move along...move along."  Everything wonderful about lunch when you are in the 4th grade was right there for just a second.  I bit into my Sloppy Joe, which was ever so much better than anything I ever had at the cafeteria at school and knew that it was worth my efforts.  Best lunch I've had in weeks.

Thank you, Chef Phil.  Not only for feeding the hungry, but also for providing that wonderful trip back to another time and place when life was easy and lunch was fun.
~Mollianne

2 comments:

  1. Know what my "smell" is? My Aunt Neenie and my Mama and "NonieBell" ironing. The warm sweet smell of the starch that was cooked on the stove, with the added little wax square that was filled with something that smelled clean and sweet. I keep looking for that smell when I buy candles, but it eludes me. It was a symble of home, clean dresses and warmth. How strange that the smell of ironing transports me!?! Thank you Miss Mollianne for reminding me that lots of little things matter!
    I love and appreciate YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mother. Isn't it wonderful how all of our senses can help us remember things? Love you!

    ReplyDelete