Wednesday, February 23, 2011

More than Just an Aunt

When I was growing up, Linda seemed more of a big sister than an aunt.   She's only seven years older than I am and those seven years often seemed the difference between uncool little girl and really cool big girl.

In preparing to write this post, I recalled countless stories of time spent with Linda ... laying out with her and her best friend Bernadette {I really thought I was cool then!  They were in HIGH SCHOOL!}, discussing the movie "Footloose" and admiring the red boots Linda had gotten after seeing the movie, her frustration about having to share a bathroom with me, and countless trips for ice cream.  And, she let me be a bridesmaid in her wedding!


But more than all those fond memories, I am thankful that Linda was there during some of the most difficult periods of my life.   When I was in second grade, my parents separated for awhile.   My brothers, my dad, and I moved in with my grandparents and Linda.   I had a little room across the hall from Linda's bedroom and many nights, Linda graciously allowed me to crawl in bed with her and encouraged me that my parents would get back together.  {She was right!  They did and on April 2nd, they will celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary!}

While I was in college, I found myself in a very difficult and scary position ... again it was Linda who listened and encouraged.  I even spent some time with her during one summer and, once more, Linda was a voice of encouragement and support during a time of great darkness in my life.


Now, we laugh about how her oldest is much like I was at that age.   Since my girl started playing soccer like her middle, we have yet another thing in common - the title of soccer mom.   And her youngest will always hold a special place in my heart as she carries a portion of my name ... Samantha Kaitlynne.

Linda is a strong person, an incredible mother, and an incredible photographer.   But most of all, Linda has been for me a friend.   It's been said you can't choose your family but you can choose your friends ... I'm grateful that Linda is both family and friend.

Happy birthday, Linda!  I love you!
Teri Lynne

1 comment: