Monday, November 23, 2009

My Daddy, Snow, & a Bicycle ... part 1

It was the early 40s with World War II raging on two sides of the world and even in small towns the squeeze was felt. However to a young girl in a small Tennessee town, thirty miles from Memphis, {which by-the-way, was a long trip in the 40s} it meant only two things: My Daddy was GONE to war and my Mama came and went. She followed Daddy from place to place as long as possible and when that wasn’t possible any longer, she found work in another town a few miles away. Today a few miles away is not a problem, just a commute. In those days tires and gas were rationed and parts for repairs were almost non-existent. Other things were rationed, but I only remember those things, shoes and sugar. Hershey bars were scarce and any chocolate was hard to come by.

We left Memphis, to live with my Daddy Jim and Bigmama in Oakland, Tennessee. They are a whole ‘nother story in themselves. My Daddy Jim was bigger than life, had a fabulous sense of humor, and was unusually handsome! He loved a good time, family gatherings, and he especially loved Christmas. I cannot remember a childhood Christmas without being at Daddy Jim and Bigmama's house.

This year was my Daddy's second Christmas away, Every night, after supper, Daddy Jim went down to Uncle Carl's Place {bus stop, pool hall, small grocery store, gas station, and "hang out" for the men in town, after supper} and would come home before my bed time. On this particular December night, Bigmama and I were listening to the radio. Daddy Jim came in and sat down, and I was immediately in his lap, as always. It was my favorite place… warm, full of love, and he smelled good too.

"What do you want for Christmas?" he asked me.

Silence

"Charlotte, you heard me, what do you want for Christmas?"

"Three things,” I responded

"Well, tell me what they are, and we will see what we can do."

"My Daddy home. Snow. A bicycle"

Silence again, but this time not mine. It was Daddy Jim's.

"I don't know about those, are there any more things you might want?"

"No Sir, just those three things."

In the next days, Daddy Jim, Bigmama, and Uncle Ebb asked that same question. I think they were hoping that I would add something else. My wishes never wavered. The answer was always:

"My Daddy Home. Snow. A bicycle"

Now, Daddy was deployed to the South Pacific, it does not snow much in west Tennessee[at that time I could not remember ever seeing snow], and bicycles were not being manufactured. Folks were hanging on to what they had, and if you had one, you couldn't get tires.

Prayer was a constant in our home. At meals, upon rising, bedtimes and other times during the day. It was not unusual for me to see Bigmama, in the garden or by the kitchen stove praying. Every day, we asked God to keep "the boys safe", meaning Uncle Charles, Uncle Bob, Uncle Gene and My Daddy.

Again and again, I was asked, Charlotte, what do you really and truly want for Christmas?” The answer never changed. To be honest, Christmas looked to be somewhat of a disappointment.

Our tree was up--Daddy Jim cut it and brought it home. There were some gifts under it, including Hershey Bars (I knew ‘cause I could smell them). Daddy Jim always managed somehow, to have Hershey Bars quite a bit.

It was not long now till the big day. I was sitting in my favorite spot when Daddy Jim came and gave me a detailed explanation of what to expect on Christmas Day. He said that the only way my Daddy could come home was if the Army sent him. My Daddy was helping our fighting men to know Jesus and have some comfort and help. He would be home as soon as the war was over, just as soon as he could. He asked me if I knew that only God can make it snow. He asked me if I had been talking to God about both of those things, Daddy coming home and snow. I told him that I was praying for those things. Then there was the remaining matter of the bicycle. Bicycles were not being made and folks were not selling their old ones. He told me that he had tried… but could not find a single bicycle.

So---That was That!

{for the rest of the story, check back here tomorrow!!

nothing like building a little Christmas anticipation.}

3 comments:

  1. Oh Bigmama, I love this story! I've already read the ending ... but can't wait for everyone else to get to read it tomorrow ... and see the picture of you and your Daddy Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bigmama! Thank you! I love Daddy Jim stories! And young Charlotte stories! I can't wait until tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait, either and i know the rest of the story! Love you, Mother!

    ReplyDelete