Monday, October 19, 2009

It's Here


Photo by elbfoto


Autumn is here.

Really, truly here and I LOVE it!

While some, including my darling husband, find that Autumn is the prelude to winter, cold and darkness, I find that I come alive and am at my best when the morning air is crisp and my cheeks are cool. I love the colors of autumn. I love the smells and the food and the gathering of family and friends to watch football, go trick or treating. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. The food is great, the expectations and obligations are much less than that of Christmas and there is something so wonderful about a day to eat and be thankful for all of God’s bounty. I love that Columbus Day is a holiday for me and I almost always do something just for me on that day! I love that we honor our Veterans in the autumn (another day off for me). I fell in love with Ed in the autumn and every year, I get that catch in my throat and remember the first sweet kiss that happened on a chilly Sunday evening. It really is my favorite time of year.

In honor of the fact that I wore my boots and a wrap to church this past Sunday morning so I’d be warm, I would like to share one of my all time favorite autumn recipes with you. It is a tradition in my home and as long as I am able, I will celebrate the first cool days with gingerbread. Whenever possible, I have a piece with apple cider, fresh if I can get it, and heated if at all possible! Autumn Blessings to you, each and all!

~ Mollianne

Gingerbread

½ cup oil

1 cup sugar

½ tsp. salt

3 tblsp. molasses

1 egg

2 cups flour

½ tsp. ginger

1 tsp. cinnamon

½ tsp. nutmeg

¾ tsp. baking soda

1 ¼ cup buttermilk

Beat the first four ingredients together. Add the egg and beat again, till smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the flour with spices and soda. Add flour mixture to first mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition.

Bake in a greased and floured baking dish (or use muffin tins…my favorite way to eat them) at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment