Friday, July 9, 2010

Molli Mouse

4th grade found me in Mrs. Miller’s classroom at Alma Schrader Elementary School in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. As Christmas approached, there was much preparation for the big PTA Christmas Program. Each year, the 2nd, 4th and 6th grade classes put on the Christmas Program. Our music teacher, Mrs. Buchanan, worked so hard to present something memorable. The 4th graders were singing, “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” and “Christmas in Killarney”. complete with costumes for the select few who were chosen to do an Irish dance. Oh, how I wanted to be chosen to be a dancer! I was not. I was very disappointed.

To my surprise, however, I was called out of class and told to report to the Music Room one late November morning. I hurried down the hall, wondering what in the world I had done? I was almost always sure I was on the verge of being in big trouble for something, and never quite sure what it was going to be.

Imagine how I felt when Mrs. Buchanan asked me if I could keep a secret? Keep a secret? Me? Yikes! That was a hard one. I’m not sure if I’d ever kept a secret in my life. Still isn’t easy for me, but I can if I have to. Guess what the secret was?

I was to sing a solo for the Christmas Program. A solo!! It was a cute little song about Four Christmas Mice, and I was to wear a grey corduroy costume that was being made just for me. Did I think I could do that and not tell a soul? Did I??!! You bet!! Mrs. Miller and my mother had already been consulted and given permission. Throughout the next few weeks, I continued to be called out of class for rehearsals. My classmates were so curious as to my whereabouts. They would gather round at recess or lunch and quiz me. I just said it was a secret and I wasn’t telling. I promise you, I was about to bust a seam. I wanted to tell. I am here to tell you that I did not tell! But I surely wanted to!!!

Closer to the event, another classmate, Joanne Harris, was also called down to the Music Room. She was a tall girl and she had been chosen to be Santa to my Mouse. Her part was to sit on a chair and after I sang, I sat on her lap and kissed her cheek. We rehearsed and rehearsed. I learned my song and was ready for the big day!

The night of the performance drew closer and closer. It was so exciting to know that I was going to be the big surprise for everyone. It was delicious to have a secret. To sing along with the class during our rehearsal time, knowing full well that I wasn’t going to be singing those numbers. To exchange a wink and a smile with Mrs. Buchanan. I was all a-twitter over the whole thing.

We ran our dress rehearsal at a school assembly. The gym was full of the Alma Schrader student body, all sitting cross-legged on the floor. Joanne and I were hidden away in the P.E. coach’s office, dressed in our costumes and so excited about the big surprise.

We listened as the 2nd graders filed past the office and lined up onstage. They sang their songs and recited their parts. Off they went, stage left as the 4th graders-minus Mollianne and Joanne-filed onstage and sang. We were next!

The curtain closed on the stage and one of the parent helpers placed a chair and a small table in front of the curtain at center stage. A glass of milk and a plate of cookies were carefully placed on the table. They brought us through the darkened stage area and someone parted the curtain. Joanne walked onstage with her sack of toys, waving to the applause of the audience. She put down her sack and sat down. She took a drink of the milk and a bite of the cookie and yawned before she feigned sleep in the chair.

It was time. The curtain parted for me and I was on. Mrs. Buchanan played the introduction and I sauntered out on stage to the surprise of everyone. In my grey corduroy costume, I belted out the song and won the applause and approval of the audience. What a glorious performance! What a victorious surprise! I sang to the back of the room, as instructed, and could be heard by all. This little girl (remember…I was too little for the 3rd grade) had quite a set of pipes and used them that day.

Joanne and I took our bows. I picked up the sack of Christmas toys and carried if offstage for her, turning to wave and blow a kiss at the audience as the curtain parted for us. That was not scripted or rehearsed, but it seemed the right thing to do…and it was! Never in my short life had I felt so triumphant. Seldom in my entire life have I felt such power. I had entertained an audience of my peers and they approved.

I raced home from school and hurried through my homework, because emerging star or not…homework had to be done. We went back that evening and did it all again for the PTA and it was the most magnificent of evenings. I earned the nickname of Molli Mouse that day and I reveled in it. I felt special in a way that I had never felt before.

I don’t know what happened to Mrs. Buchanan. I wish I could tell her what it means to me now to look back at that and smile. I wish I could tell her that singing has been a lifelong love and that I have been in some wonderful choirs and choruses. I’ve even sung chorus in Grand Opera. I never step onto a stage without thinking of her and that first parting of the curtain!

6 comments:

  1. It is so great that you felt so powerful! I think that every kid should get that feeling at least once. Do you still remember the words to the song?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisie, I don't recall all the words to that song. BUt the role was reprised during the 6th grade and I know every word to the song, "Santa Mouse". I even have a copy of the music. That one wasn't a surprise, and they had to cut the feet out of the mouse costume because I'd grown. I wore some boots and a Santa hat with the costume that year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story! I'm sure that it is as important to your parents as it is to you. I remember all of my kids' performances and will forever link the songs to them. Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a fabulous experience! Congrats to you on being able to keep a secret so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great experience! I'm so impressed by your secret-keeping! I'm sure you were just dying to brag to your friends! Performances are often so nerve-wracking, I'm glad yours was empowering!

    ReplyDelete