Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A confession

I have a confession. Ash Wednesday is just the sort of day to make confessions. Remember back in January when I was taking down my Christmas decorations and putting them in the boxes? Everything is in a box or tub. Has been for about 6 weeks.

The boxes aren't all put away yet.

I can give you 458 excuses and reasons why...but the ugly fact remains that it is Ash Wednesday and my Christmas decorations are still in boxes and storage tubs stacked in my family room. It is just shameful. I am really embarassed by this.

I might a well get the rest of it off my chest. My house is a mess, too. A no-fooling, get the gossips talking, tongue wagging, dirty mess.

Now, by this time tomorrow, most of that will be taken care of. We are hitting the 'to do' list with a vengance tonight. I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow to clean and get things in order. (My parents are coming tomorrow...so you can see that I am quite motivated!)

I even mentioned in that previous post that Easter was just around the corner. I blinked my eyes, woke up this morning and it is Lent! Today! Its Ash Wednesday.

I played the piano for the faithful few who attend our 7:00 am Ash Wednesday service. I spent the day with ashes on my forehead. I have been reminded in more than one way today that from dust I was created and to dust I will return.

I have a verse from the Psalms that I pray daily. To me, it just about covers it all. Ash Wednesday is a day that Psalm 51 is read as part of the Liturgy. The Psalm of confession and repentence, The verse I say as a prayer is Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God and renew a right spirit within me.

Oh, how I need a clean heart and a right spirit. If my heart is clean and I am in a right relationship with God...nothing else really matters.

My house, on the other hand, I'll have to do myself. But this evening and tomorrow, I will offer the cleaning of my house to God in an act of worship and praise. I will be thankful for its solid structure and for the bounty we enjoy. For the mud on the carpet that was tracked in by boys who were joyful because they had been out in the melting snow. For the laundry to be done for a husband who is home after extended travel. For the arranging of things to make our guest room comfortable for beloved and most welcome guests. All of these things I will offer with joy and thanksgiving.

Create in me a clean heart, O God.

The rest, I suppose, is up to me!

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean and I know what you are going through. Girl this page is wonderful! Love you and your family so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't meet my goal either...boxes still in living room. Maybe next year....

    ReplyDelete