Wednesday, January 6, 2010

‘Tis Done. Its Over. I am Finished!

I looked at the beautiful lights on the sweet Christmas tree that I swiped and unplugged them this morning. I’m not tired of it yet, but think I ought to turn it off and take it down before I am tired of it.

Same with most of the other decorations. Putting them away is such a hateful task. This year, however, I am determined to do it cheerfully. No whining. No putting it off until the Super Bowl (not a joke…I’ve gotten away with that one before). It’s coming down. Like a K-Mart flashing Blue Light Special…everything must go!

I have never understood the rush in which some folks de-deck their halls. That’s okay. I don’t have to understand it. I always enjoy my Christmas decorations so much more AFTER Christmas. After the tasks of wrapping presents, baking, exchanging gifts, attending functions-after all those things are finished, I quietly and thoroughly enjoy my decorations. Some of them are ancient and are really showing their age.
There is the set of choir children that were at my Grandmother’s house. They are the tackiest things you ever saw. They have rhinestone eyes. One of them has lost its head, and the crack where it was glued back on is jagged and black. There are 3 of them and my precious Neenie bought them to represent my older brothers and me. They came with blonde hair. Neenie painted the hair on one brown, because I wasn’t blonde.

There is the tinsel star that adorned my first tree after I married and left home. It was shiny and bright in 1977. It is pretty ragged now, but it touches my heart and reminds me of a very sweet Christmas long ago and far, far away.
I have a felt stocking with just an “M” on it because ‘Mollianne’ was too long to fit. It is weary looking with age, but I hang it with a tear each year. My Neenie made it for me when I was a baby. It was my very first Christmas decoration.
I will gently wrap and put away the pickle that has been such a joke between Rocket Man and Boy Wonder. The funny gingerbread man and the clay angel that my youngest step-daughter made for me when she was in the 4th grade. My nativity set, many of the pieces were gifts from Annie. A handmade bread dough ornament that was on a gift to Jamie when he was only 4 months old. Angels from Grandma Buster’s tree. All very dear, dear friends it seems.

As I lovingly wrap all of them up and put them carefully away, I will whisper prayers for the people and places that they bring to mind. The laughter and tears of many holidays and the hope of many to come. As much as I cherish them all, it is time to put them in the red and green plastic tubs and haul them back to storage.
While I try to hold the wonder and awe of the Christ Child in my heart all year, I must move away from the manger to know the whole story. Rest well in your wrapping paper and plastic tubs, my lovely ornaments and decorations and lights. You have brightened my days and from what you represent, a great Light has been seen.

…and Easter is coming….

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Molli, just beautiful! And I love the reminder to view the manger with the cross in sight!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Molli! I'm sorry I missed helping take them down, but thank you for letting me put so many dear memories on display this year. My little nativity stays out all year. In many many ways, it always brings a smile to my face and heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful!! I have decorations like that too that remind of freinds and family and how much love we share!!! I just want to thank you all for allowing us (readers) a glimpse into your wonderful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Teri. I don't know if you saw when you were at my house, but I have crosses on my tree(maybe enough for a cross tree next year), and anytime I find a cross with the nativity on it, I get it. Always a powerful image to me.

    Annie, you'll never know what it meant to me that you helped like you did this Christmas. I will cherish the memory of you and Sean putting the star on top of my swiped tree. So many of my most precious Christmas memories have you in them. I love you.

    Garnetlady1, thank you for reading. I'm not sure we are always all that wonderful...I think we are a family like most everyone else. We just happen to enjoy telling our stories! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete